The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is an agreement currently being secretly put together by 11 nations around the Pacific rim. As more and more is learned about what this partnership agremeent would do, it becomes more obvious why we are not given access to the real details. But here is what we do know as facts:
* Of the 29 chapters in the agreement, only 5 actually discuss trade.
* Corporations are allowed to sue nations in tribunal courts if access to what they want is denied them, as TPP provides them protection for “expected earnings” from each of the signing countries.
* Members of Congress, after being denied the text for years, are now only provided limited access while during this time, more than 600 official corporate “trade advisors” have special access.
Public Citizen reports the following threats brought by TPP:
- Offshore millions of American jobs
- Roll back Wall Street reforms
- Sneak in SOPA-like threats to Internet freedom
- Ban Buy-American policies needed to create green jobs
- Jack up the cost of medicines
- Expose the U.S. to unsafe food and products
- Empower corporations to attack our environmental and health safeguards
We all need to become very educated and very vocal about our opposition to an agreement that will destroy most people’s way of life. The total disregard for anything but corporate profit and 1% greed is appalling.
We need your help. EVERYONE needs to be involved. This is no small matter, and absolutely no good can come from the passage of such an “agreement.”